Monday, November 5, 2012

Give me my freedom; I am mine.


People may be surprised when they read this, but yes, I am glad that I was born and raised Catholic. (Hold the gasps, I'm not done just yet.) I'm glad that I was raised with such a strict organized religion because as I've grown I've been able to think for myself and make my own choices. I'm not pleased that I was forced to go through the sacrament of confirmation because of family pressure, but it hasn't changed my own ability to think for myself. I am not a person who can follow traditional religions. I'm not someone who believes in such things. I do have beliefs and am spiritual; it's just not in the form that most agree with. I believe that religion should be between a person and whatever their belief is. I don't think it has a place in government or your workplace. 

We're different. Not everyone is going to have the same beliefs as someone else. Isn't that what our ancestors came to America for - freedom? So, let people have their religion. Let people believe what they will. I think that we should have that freedom. I also believe that we should have freedom from those who constantly bombarded others with their believes and insist that theirs are the only ones that matter or are real. One religion may be better for you than another, but that doesn't mean that someone else's point of view or belief is wrong. Also, people should stop bringing religion into conversation where it doesn't belong. If your religion doesn't recognize homosexuality it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or that homosexuals are not people. If your religion doesn't recognize a woman's right to choose, this also doesn't mean that her body or  her choices are not her own. People can use their religion as a crutch, and I find that truly debilitating because what one religion says/believes is not the same as another. Who's right? Does someone need to be right? Can't we have people who believe different ideals getting along in this world? I'm just not sure why this is such a hard concept. Sometimes I feel that the more we feed into those who oppose us, the more we are disservicing ourselves. We're a nation that needs constant approval, but what does that prove? Can't we do what we want for ourselves? Can't we be selfish to what we believe? I'd rather be the one standing on the sidelines trying to make sense of a group of people stoning someone who disagrees with them than be a part of the group. But again, that's just who I am. I'm comfortable alone. I don't need others to validate who I am.


In short: Day number five of thanks - I am thankful for religion because it's enabled me to be open minded and an independent thinker.



No comments:

Post a Comment