Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Five Basics of Life


  • Sight
    • I'm thankful that I can see: family, friends, movies, beaches, mountains, fall foliage, snowflakes, stars in the night sky, animals, old architecture.... I don't think there's much better than that in the world. I am thankful that I know what it is to see, because I know what it's like to not be able to. Yes, I may not be completely blind, but without my glasses, I might as well be.
  • Sound
    • I'm thankful that I can hear and listen, as it's essential in good communication. Although I may not always hear something, and I may ask for you to repeat yourself - at least I am engaged enough to care that I missed what you had to say.
    • Beyond just being able to hear and listen, I am thankful that this makes it possible to enjoy music. Without music I don't know how I would cope through life.
  • Smell
    • Actually sometimes I think i could do without this sense, but then there are other times where a hint of something takes me back to a great memory. I would miss having that happen. I am thankful for what a scent can reveal in my mind. I am thankful that I know what it is like to smell something bad, because it makes the good smells all the more better.
  • Taste
    • I'm a fat kid, there's no denying that! I love food. I love food that tastes great. I sometimes say if I had to get rid of a sense, it would be taste, but I would miss out on the joys of going home and enjoying family meals. We're Italian, our family gatherings are kind of epic. I'm thankful that I knwo what it's like to be full/stuffed, because I also know what it is to be hungry and starving.
  • Touch
    • I love soft things, but doesn't everyone? I enjoy basic fabrics that are comfortable. I like touching objects to see how they feel and find out the difference between them. I am thankful that I know what it is like to feel a hot surface, because I learned what danger was. I am thankful that I know what it is like to be extremely cold, because I learned what it meant to be warm. I am thankful that I know what something sharp feels like, because I learned what pain was. Are these simple things that people have forgotten we've learned in our lives? Do we forget how it was to discover and enjoy new things? As time passes on, technology progresses, and people fall out of touch - isn't this one sense we should be the most aware of?


No comments:

Post a Comment