Friday, November 2, 2012

Day of Thanks #2

I am really going to try and do a post every day this month to participate in the "30 Days of Thanks". Some may believe this is easy, but I am already quite aware that I can never keep up with these sorts of things. I've always tried to do those monthly photo challenges and fail miserably...and by that I mean I maybe get to day 10 before I start missing days. Whoops!

Yesterdays post wasn't too specific so I will try to stay more on track with this one. Luckily, I get to cheat just a little bit. My wonderful Resident Assistant staff are always coming up with creative passive programming (bulletin boards and calendars), and this month was no exception. The November calendar that was created by RA Shane Cushing has a different theme for every day this month, with the premise of something to be thankful for. I may just use that for more inspiration.


So, what is today's topic?
When I noticed this I chuckled to myself. It's so fitting for my daily life. 

Most people think of formal education when they see something like this, and granted I did at first but sitting down to write this post, I've begun to look at it in a whole different way. Although I am thankful for my formal education, I believe the education that I have received from life has been much more valuable and something that no one can ever put a price tag on.

Elementary School - I am thankful for...
  • knowing that not everyone you meet will be nice to you.
  • knowing that people are different than me, and that's okay.
  • free lunch, because I would've gone without if I didn't have that.
  • the opportunity to play a musical instrument in the band.
  • having teachers who thought I could be someone in life.


High School - I am thankful for...
  • not letting all the bad things people said to me keep me down for long.
  • trying.
  • being different.
  • teachers who pushed me in the right direction.
  • staff who were great mentors.
  • my first kiss and the teenage heartbreak that is came with.
  • knowing who I was and not letting others break me.


College - I am thankful for...
  • leaving home and discovering new places.
  • meeting/living with new and different people.
  • my first interaction with the professional staff member of the building I lived in freshman year.
  • finding my passion and career in life.
  • having the opportunity to be a student leader.
  • knowing what being a part of a community feels like.
  • professors who cared and truly wanted to help.
  • discovering more of who I am.


Graduate School #1 - I am thankful for...
  • the challenges that I had to face by living an hour away from campus.
  • my assistantship & finding out that I wasn't their first choice.
  • my classmates who listened.
  • a professor who I didn't get along with.
  • professors who I did get along with.
  • classmates who were there to help.
  • leaving.


Graduate School #2 - I am thankful for...
  • finishing.


Looking at these list it may seem filled with negativity, but for me that is what has allowed me to grow, change, develop, and continue to pursue what is next. I am thankful for the opportunities I've had through my formal education and all that I have learned from life. I hope that I am able to be there for students as staff and faculty had been there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment