Wednesday, March 25, 2015

I Wear Jeans to Work and Other Things You can Judge Me For

So this post is something that I have sat on for quiet some time, but I feel that the #NASPAyikyak fiasco of 2015 brings these notions back to light. I think it's time that I share this and continue the conversation of the apparent superiority complex we have among us.

I read a blog post on the unwritten rules of Student Affairs and it's bothered me for the past day (and still does). So much so that I was up at 5:00 am because I couldn't sleep and decided that writing a blog post in my head was more important. Unfortunately when I do that I never actually remember the entirely of the post I had written and then stumble to find those words again once I get to a computer. However there are two things I do know:
  1. I'm irked.
  2. I'm disappointed.
It's hard for me to say that. It's difficult because the authors of the post are two professionals that I admire and usually enjoy/promote what they have to say. However, I really don't believe the mark was hit with this. Now, I don't disagree with it all nor am I saying that there's not some truth to the points made, but why are we perpetrating "unwritten rules"? Are we not trying to undo them? Why are we adding more layers to a field that can be overwhelming and complex for new professionals as it is. Sure, maybe this post wasn't meant for new professionals, but what good was the advice for anyone? We are not holier than thou, do-no-wrong, failure-is-not-an-option, demean the outcast group - or are we?

According to the authors the unwritten rules are:
  • Say no early and often
  • Don't treat your department budget like you do at home
  • Network with People at levels above and below you
  • Stop talking about your work-life balance
  • Dress the part
  • What people think of you does matter
  • Your job is to make your boss look good (and take work off their desk!)
I don't disagree nor am bothered by all of these; other than the point that we're continually perpetrating "unwritten rules" in the first place. Stop it. When did we become some secret society that people need to bend over backwards to be a part of. No, I don't need to be a SA Unicorn. Neither does anyone else. Can we please focus on the purpose of our jobs instead of the ways people do their jobs differently? Also, please don't forget that each college campus has it's own culture and political structure in which these so called "unwritten rules" may not even be acceptable or work.
  • Say no early and often: Slightly disagree
    • Premise - don't take on too much too soon.
    • Reality - just because it's not in your job description doesn't mean you don't have to do it. Seek clarification if you're unsure run it by your supervisor before turning down a meeting or committee invite.
  • Don't treat your department budget like you do at home: Agree
    • Premise - spend it or lose it.
    • Reality - spend it or lose it; although this can too depend on your institution. Make sure you take your own position and role with budgets into account first.
  • Network with people at levels above and below you: Agree
    • Premise - get to know the people you work for and those who work for you.
    • Reality - No matter your job title, you should want to know the people you're working for and those working for you. Meet with administrative assistance, facilities, custodians; you'll be amazed at what kind of knowledge and perspective they have on a department or institution as a whole.
  • Stop talking about your work-life balance: Strongly Disagree
    • Premise - Our jobs are 24/7 and you better get used to it.
    • Reality - We are people. We have lives outside of what we do for a living, and so it should be. Yes, some of us might need help in being more organized and setting up 'boundaires', if you will, but how do we help colleagues do that? Just telling them they have to or what they are currently doing is wrong doesn't work. We need to assist and help in ways we can. Mentor new professionals. Assist where you can. This should not be a 'dog eat dog' world, because outside of work it's tough enough already.
  • Dress the part: Strongly Disagree
    • Premise - The clothes make the person and to fit in you must adhere to this rule.
    • Reality - This does not take into account gender expression, socioeconomic status, or size. As a large woman with low SES it is not financially feasible for me to be able to afford what some of the profession deems as professional for my daily work life. (FYI: 1 suit would cost me $150.00 & no I can't just go to my location Salvation Army/Goodwill store to pick up low cost items). I am not alone in this. New professionals and graduate students, which make up a large population of the field are not always in financial situations to afford the same level of professional attire as say a CHO. Sure $150 for a suit might seem like a steal to some, but if that's my every day attire I would need at least 3 to mix & match ($450.00); which doesn't take into account weight loss or gain - because let's face it I'm human, and so are the rest of us!
  • What people think of you does matter: Strongly Disagree
    • Premise - You must be liked by everyone and at all times to matter in this field/get ahead.
    • Reality - And this happened today:

    • Your job is to make your boss look good (and take work of their desk!): Disagree
      • Premise - Don't add concerns to your boss's to-do list; anticipate projects/challenges and take initiative.
      • Reality - Where as this isn't a huge issue, it does lead to some interesting thoughts on being able to balance your own workload. I don't mind taking initiative, but sometimes you might do something a certain way and find out that was wrong. Sure it's a learning opportunity, but I add caution to just going forth, especially as new professionals without seeking some guidance first. As the Associate VP for Student Affairs at University at Buffalo Barbara Ricotta would say "Don't just bring me a dead cat, bring me a dead cat and a shovel." Go to your supervisor with a question or challenge AND bring a solution. I find that to be much better and practical advice.
    So why do these things go together? We're shaming a large or small population (because who really knows since Yik Yak is anonymous!) into our own ideals of what is professional and acceptable. I am aware that some of the Yaks were in poor taste and the ones promoting 'isms were uncalled for at the least, but we can do better in the sense that we need to understand we're all learning and developing each day. The professional who has been doing this for 30 years and the one who will enter the field, hopefully, in May are trying to navigate the waters of Social Media in the same sense; or one would hope as this is 2015 and a lot if happening on SoMe that we should be a part of - connecting with students and understanding campus climates, etc (RE: Rey Junco). What now? Where do we go from here?


    I'll leave you with these:


    No comments:

    Post a Comment