Thursday, December 13, 2012

#ACUHOI vRoundtable: After thoughts

Today I participated in the ACUHO-I vRoundtable on using social media in housing. It turned to be part webinar, part twitter chat. I must admit I enjoyed it. I started using twitter back in 2009 and instantly became addicted. I enjoyed being able to meet other professionals from around the country and engaging in discussions that kept me current.

My first twitter account was one that I used for both professional and personal use. I however did not have my account tied to my professional life in any way, other than that I worked in Pennsylvania as a housing professional. That became a problem for me in my position that I held at the time. I decided to stop tweeting. I backed away form social media altogether. I lost contact with every connection I had made. I had a sour taste in my mouth and was alone.

I decided that I was not going to let that stop me from enjoying the discussions and interactions I was able to engage in with other professionals. I created a new account. I actually created two new accounts. One account was strictly for my professional life and the other was strictly personal. For me, it works. I believe it's because I am that black sheep. I have a lot of strong opinions on items that are controversial. I also have a childish/sick/dry sense of humor (seriously I laughed hysterically throughout most of Hostel Part II).

I don't believe any of us can truly be ourselves in our professional lives. As I tweeted during the discussion today:
"Using two accounts - professional vs. personal - isn't for everyone, but some can benefit from it. I don't believe we're at a place where we can be seen as people outside of our professions without having the integrity of our work questioned. I have a job and do it, in my mind, quite well. I also have a social life that I don't think needs to mix with my job. Personal opinion."
Who hasn't laughed at someone who slipped and fell on ice in the winter? It's something that seems pretty common, but is it professional? What is "professional"? Why do we strive to be something that no one can define clearly, because it could be different in every region/at every institution. Right? Sure there is always that underlining meaning of professional, but does mine match the one someone else has? I don't know. From my experiences, I think not. In one of my professional positions I was told that sending letters to students addressing them as "Mr" or "Miss" was not professional. (mind blown)

Before social media I don't think anyone gave a damn what you thought or what conversations you had with friends, but now that it's all out there in the public people are scrutinized more. Personally, I would much rather have my professional life and my personal life. Why? Being a Residence Life professional you really don't get a personal life anyway, so the little distinctions that I get I am going to take full advantage of.

It's funny too because my personal life is quite bland. I don't even drink! So what trouble could I possibly be getting into? None. However, I don't believe I'll ever be able to escape "guilty by association". (None of my close friends work in Higher Education or professional positions, thus none of them 'look' the part.) It's true. We're judged not only on what we look like, what we say, and what we do, but also by that of the company we keep. People can deny this, but I have yet to find a time when it wasn't true. You're covered in tattoos? Bad. You have any type of body modification? Bad. You went to a bar? Bad. You went to a party? Bad.

I don't believe that we can be ourselves and professional. Has everyone just ignored the fact that people are losing their jobs because they are being themselves? You don't agree with something? Smile, nod, and accept it. We're supposed to teach students to engage in discussion, to stand up for what they believe, and to do the right thing, yet we ourselves can't.

Maybe because I've been burned I'm too cynical, but for now I will live two lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment