Friday, December 21, 2012

'Tis The Season

I have come to the conclusion that there truly are two sets of people in the world: those who are pleasant and kind and those who don't care about anything but themselves. Sure we may all have our selfish moments, but I'm talking about the people who truly live their lives like this. Trying to do holiday shopping with these people is madness. Don't you dare think that you can be patient and courteous to the sales staff at a store, because you're holding them up from their shopping. Sorry, am I supposed to plan my entire schedule around everyone else? I did my shopping on time/in advance/not last minute so I am more than happy to be laid back when I need to go out. The "me me me" people are not. It's quite disheartening. 

Because I have seen so much of this recently, I've made strides to go out of my way to help others. I don't have much money to my name, but the other evening when I was leaving the mall there was a man holding a sign that read "homeless, just got a job, but need bus fare". I rolled down my window and gave him all the change I had. Sure, he could be lying but I'd rather like to feel that I was doing some good. Even if he used the money to buy beer, cigarettes it gave him some enjoyment for a night. Why should I, even though I don't agree with either of those things, deem him not worthy of having a little enjoyment?

This past Wednesday after having dinner I decided that I needed to pick up a few items from Target. Our local store is open until midnight and I got there around 10:00/10:30pm. I did my shopping. I checked out and then left my cart inside near the other returned carts. I walked to my car, bags in hand, and placed them inside. I then saw the shopping cart corraller (what exactly is their title?) walking all over the parking lot retrieving abandoned carts. Seriously, you parked two spaces away from the cart return and you're just going to leave it there? There were many offenders of this. I decided that I had time and I was not in a rush. I walked all over the parking lot looking for abandoned carts and returned them to the cart return. I first started with all the carts that were in the very back of the parking lot - you know, no man's land where no one wants to ever park, but must during the holidays. I also walked over to some cars and waited for people to unload their carts before returning them on their behalf. It was funny. One interaction I had was with a gentlemen. He watched me as I approached him and to not freak him out too much as I neared I just said I was here to collect his cart, and he replied "Well, you're either here for my wallet, or my cart". We had a nice little chuckle, he finished emptying his cart and then I walked away. I realized after some time that no one knew I wasn't a Target employer. I was wearing black pants and a red hoodie...so I guess I passed? I don't need the recognition nor do I want it, but I kept thinking that I'd be getting in trouble from Target or something. Maybe a liability? I don't know. I had a good laugh about it to myself on my way home though.

I'm not sure what time I ended up leaving, but I didn't until I was satisfied that the parking lot was emptied of all abandoned carts. Before I left I went into Target to use the restroom and on my way out I made eye contact with the gentlemen who's actual job it was to move carts, and just smiled. It was such a pleasant feeling. Why don't we do this more often? What happened to helping others? We seem to only care when it's the holidays or in times of disaster. And I get it to a sense; we're more aware of our surroundings and the things going on around us, but shouldn't we always be?

I never make New Year's resolutions, but I think this year I'm at least going to make it a point, at least to myself, to do more for others. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment