Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Break the silence: It begins with us.



If you have not seen this video, I suggest watching it.

















Because of this video I have decided to write this post. I've lived in silence. I didn't want to give in because I didn't want to fail. I didn't want to be seen as weak. I didn't want to be viewed any differently than I already was. I was the fat kid in school. I was the poor kid in school. I was the kid who went above and beyond trying to make others feel wanted/needed when no one cared about me. I was the kid who fought for a voice. I was the kid who stopped trying. I was the kid that flew under the radar. I was the kid who was abused for speaking up. I was the kid who stopped fighting it. I was the kid who let it get the best of me. I was the kid who was on the outside looking in. I was the kid who was silently screaming for help. I was the kid that never got help...

It took me until I was 27 years old to admit to myself that I had depression and I needed help.
It took me until I was 27 years old.
27 years old

I had suffered for 15 years before telling anyone.
Yes, I was 12 when it started. 

We don't talk about it because no one wants to know. We don't talk about it because we don't want to be viewed as broken, as weak, as crazy. We don't talk about it because when we do we know the judging begins. We don't talk about it because we know people will start to tip toe around us. We don't talk about it because we know if you don't suffer from depression you don't understand. We don't talk about it because sometimes it's easier/safer to suffer alone. We don't talk about it because we're afraid.

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." - F.D.R

We should not be feared. We should not be afraid. Break the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment